Mr. Smith has conducted numerous international and domestic commercial arbitrations as panel chairman, party appointed arbitrator or as sole arbitrator. He collaborated with Martin Hunter and Alan Redfern in writing the second edition of the leading text «Law and Practice of International Commercial Arbitration» and is a frequent lecturer on the subject of international arbitration practice. Mr. Smith is also an English Barrister.
As an arbitrator in complex commercial cases, Mr. Smith recognizes the fundamental importance of due process and equal treatment of the parties while maintaining rigorous procedural oversight.
Currently practising out of offices in Vancouver, British Columbia, his practice includes domestic as well as international commercial arbitration cases. He has acted as arbitrator in international commercial arbitrations under AAA (ICDR), ICC, BCICAC ADR Institute and UNCITRAL Rules.
Mr. Smith’s arbitration work has involved him in disputes over the
- distribution of oil field production profits
- gas supply contracts for power generation facilities
- mining exploration concession agreements
- royalty payments and rights to intellectual property associated with Internet commerce
- breaches of agreement for the purchase of proprietary technology
- computer software use and licensing
- intellectual property and technology transfer agreements involving electronic components in the automobile parts industry
- domestic and international transportation and shipping matters
- shareholder rights
- and the interpretation of commercial and construction contracts